Rambling about Roguelikes

I've played... wait, scratch that, tried playing several roguelikes. I've probably only made it for 10 minutes in most of them for each of my lives, never really getting very far. I guess I'm just not very good at planning out things, or I've been screwed by the RNG every time. Even though it's clear I'm pretty bad at playing roguelikes, I do like them a lot because I can't breeze through even the most basic of levels. That and random stuff happening is always awesome.

FTL was called something like a roguelike game because of the randomness of the game world, and the brutal difficulty it had even on the easiest one. It was also a game made for many short playthroughs since the length of the game is quick enough for a single sitting, which fits the style of roguelikes as well. I had a lot of fun with FTL, it's just so interesting to get all these random events happening, and seeing how strong I can get in a game.

Dungeons of Dredmor is an example of a more modern roguelike that's come out in recent years. It's got a non-text graphics and mouse controls! It's also still reasonably in-depth and has a lot of random levels and such. I remember thinking there was only 1 religion (that I can remember) in DoD, whereas some of the other roguelikes I played had several. Just a single point I wanted to make, because I had a lot of fun making characters and bringing them to various religions.

The main game that brought me to like roguelikes was Elona, a small, buggy, not quite perfect but a lot of fun Japanese graphical semi-roguelike game that I couldn't get enough of. It had so many different aspects to it, and it had some very difficult monsters in some areas, and it had many different gods. The dev stopped work on it, but I will always have a place in my heart for Elona as it has eaten up too many hours of my life for me to forget about it. It also helps that others are continuing the work from the source code the dev has left for community use.

And that's the end of me rambling on about whatever I was thinking of today! Have an awesome random day!

No comments:

Post a Comment