Horror Games and Their Scares

I hate horror games. I'm easily scared, I don't enjoy getting scared, but I still play some of them anyways. Some horror games have very tense atmospheres, and for whatever reason, I like getting that feeling now and then. It still doesn't change the fact that I hate it when the tension breaks and the screaming begins, but I'll keep going and try to play if I can.

4 years after it's release, I finally finish Dead Space 1. I played it on and off for the longest time, because I hated those things that kept slicing around. Which was pretty much everything. And in the few months after that, I've finished Dead Space 2 and 3. I liked them, they were enjoyable to play, but the tense atmosphere that I play horror games for diminished with each sequel. Either I'm starting to get used to the scares in these games, or they're just not as scary as the first one. It probably helped that in Dead Space 3 I was playing co-op with a friend. This series of games is probably the only series of horror games in which I've actually finished any of the games, let alone all of them. I usually get part way through a scary game and just can't get myself to keep going and finish it.

I can totally understand why some people love playing horror games, as they've got a thrill that other games just can't provide. I for one just can't handle that thrill. I'd rather sit back and relax, enjoy myself without the tension, even though I do like it. Anybody else have thoughts on the matter? Sometimes I wonder if there's anybody out there who tries to play horror games like I do, but can't seem to get through any of them. I feel like it's a strange borderline to be standing on.

Anyways, that's my rant for the day. Enough scary games for me tonight, maybe in another 4 years or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment